top of page
  • elizeelaw

Who Pays for the Wedding?


Congratulations on your engagement! As you prepare to marry your non-US citizen partner, you're probably excited about the future and a bit overwhelmed by the wedding planning process. One common question that arises is: who should pay for the wedding expenses?

Planning Your Wedding with a Non-US Citizen Partner: Who Pays for What?

Traditionally, the expenses of a wedding can be divided in various ways, often based on cultural or family customs. However, when marrying a non-US citizen, there are some additional considerations. It's generally advisable for the US citizen partner takes part in paying for the wedding, but it does not mean that they have to pay for everything on their own. Here’s why:

  1. Proof of Bona Fide Relationship: When you apply for a fiancé(e) visa (K-1 visa) or a marriage-based green card, you will need to prove that your relationship is genuine. Providing documentation that shows the US citizen partner is financially invested in the marriage and in the wedding preparations can serve as a piece of evidence that the relationship is real and not just for immigration purposes.

  2. Financial Stability: Demonstrating financial stability is an important aspect of the immigration process. When the US citizen pays for significant expenses like the engagement ring and the wedding, it can illustrate that they are financially capable of supporting their non-US citizen partner. However, every relationship is different, so focus on presenting your relationship as best as you can.


Practical Tips

Have an open and honest conversation with your partner about finances. Decide together how expenses will be shared, keeping in mind the immigration considerations. Keeping detailed records of expenses ensures transparency can prevent misunderstandings or disputes later on. It also helps in creating a timeline of your relationship and financial involvement, which can be beneficial during the visa or green card application process.

Remember, the journey to your happily ever after may have a few extra steps, but with careful planning and the right support, you’ll be walking down the aisle together in no time. If you have more questions or need assistance with your immigration journey, feel free to reach out to our experienced team. We're here to help you every step of the way.


Patricia Elizee is the managing partner of the Elizee Law Firm, an immigration law firm located at 1110 Brickell Avenue, Suite 315, Miami, Florida 33131. Phone 305-371-8846. The law firm was established in 2012. Ms. Elizee earned her Juris Doctorate at the University of Miami School of Law and her Masters in Law from the University of Washington School of Law.


bottom of page