Should I file for my immigration visa as a music group or an individual??

October 5, 2017

 As a musician you may be able to qualify for a visa to come and perform in the United as either an individual or as a member of a group. At times, the distinction between a musical group and a solo artist is clear. If you are performing on stage alone then you are most likely a solo artist and should file your petition as an individual artist. However, if you are an artist who relies on the help of a live band, backup singers, dancers, and others, you may also apply as a group.


Immigration published a policy guideline where they explained the manner in which the act is billed (advertised) is not a determining factor as to whether the act should be considered to be a group or a solo act. If a solo artist or entertainer traditionally performs on stage with the same group of people, the act may be classified as a group. The group has the burden of showing that 75% of the group members have been performing together as a group for over one year. If you do not meet the 75% rule, you may apply as an individual and file a separate petition for the rest of members essential support staff.


Music professionals may qualify for a P, O, B1, H-2b, EB1, B1, or other type of visa. Contact an attorney to find the best category for you!

Please reload

Featured Posts

Dade County Bar Association Immigration Training

September 24, 2018

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload