WASHINGTON—Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson has extended Haiti’s designation for Temporary

WASHINGTON- Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson has extended Haiti's designation for Temporary Protected Status(TPS) for an additional 18 months. The extended designation is effective Jan.23, 2016, through July 22, 2017.

Current TPS Haiti beneficiaries seeking to extend their TPS status must re-register during 60-day period that runs from Aug.25, 2015, through Oct. 26, 2015. U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) encourages beneficiaries to re-register as soon as possible once the 60-day re-registration period begins. USCIS will no accept application before Aug. 25,2015.

The 18-month extension also allows TPS re-registrants to apply for a new Employment Authourozation Document (EAD). Elgible TPS Haiti beneficiaries who re-register during a 60-day period and request a new EAD will receive one with an expiration date of July 22, 2017.USCIS recognizes that some re-registrants may not receive their new EADs until aftr their current EADs expire. Therefore, USCIS is automatically extending current TPS Haiti EADs bearinga Jan.22,2016, expiration date for an additional six months. These existing EADs are now valid through July 22, 2016.

Haiti was initially designated for TPS on Jan. 21, 2010, after a major earthquake devastated the country.Following consultations with other federal agencies, the Department of Homeland Security has determined that current conditions in Haiti support extending the designation period for current TPS beneficiaries.

To re-register, current TPS beneficiaries must submit:

Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status(Re-registrants do not need to pay the Form I-821 application fee).

The biometric services fee(or a fee waiver request) if they are 14 years or older.

Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, regardless whether they want an EAD.

The form I-765 application fee, or a fee waiver request, but only if they want an EAD. If the re-registrant does not want an EAD, no application fee is required.

Applicants may request that USCIS waive the Form I-765 fee and/or biometrics fee based on an inability to pay.To do so, applicants must file a Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, or submit written request. Fee waiver requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation. USCIS will reject the TPS application of any applicant who fails to submit the required filing fees or properly documented fee waiver request.

All USCIS forms are free. Applicants can downlaod these forms from the USCIS webiste at uscis.gov/forms or request them by calling USCIS toll-free at 1-800-870-3676.

Additional information on TPS for Haiti--including guidance on elgibility, application process, and where to file--is available online at uscis.gov/tps.Further details about this extension of TPS for Haiti, including the application requirements and preocedures, appear in a Federal Register notice published today.

Applicants seeking information about the status of their individual cases can check My Case Status Online, or call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).

For more information on USCIS and its programs, visit uscis.gov.Follow us on Facebook(/uscis), Twitter( @ uscis), Youtube(/uscis) and the USCIS blog The Beacon.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts