• elizeelaw

Did you know that you can waive the filing fee for a divorce in Florida?

When it comes to a divorce, one of the first thoughts that come to mind is court fees. The fees usually depend on what you are asking the court to do. If you need a divorce, costs may be different from someone who is in court for child custody issues. What many people do not know is that you can get the filing fees waived.

When you cannot afford the court fees, you can ask the court if you can file your case without paying court fees. To do so, you must apply for Determination of Civil Indigent Status. Even though you asked for Indigent status, you still have to pay a $25 administrative fee. So, when can you file my application for Determination of Civil Indigent Status? You can submit your request to waive your court fees at the very beginning of your case. This process will have to be done when you file your paperwork. The application needs to be filed with the Clerk of the Court. You will have to provide the following information with your application:

  • The number of dependents and whether you are married

  • Net income-This is the amount you are paid in salary, tips, overtime, etc. minus deductions required by law like court ordered-child support payments.

  • Other income like social security benefits, union funds, veterans’ benefits, workers’ compensation, or additional regular support from family members, pension, reemployment assistance or unemployment compensation, dividends, interest, rent, trust, and gifts.

  • Assets such as cash, savings accounts, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, equity in real estate, and equity in a boat or motor vehicle or other tangible property.

  • All liabilities and debts – How much you owe on things like cars, your home, child support, credit card bills, and medical bills.

The clerk will review your application and determine whether your waiver is approved or whether you will be required to pay the filing fee. Do note that you do not have to apply for a waiver fee every time you file something in court. Once the court approves your fee waiver application, you do not need to turn in another form each time you submit court papers in the same case. If you are involved in a different matter, with a different case number, you will need to file a new application for the other case.