Parent of a U.S. Citizen

U.S. citizens over the age of 21 are able to apply for a green card for their parents. The first step of the proccess is filing a petition for classification of the relative as a qualifying relative with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once the application is approved, the foreign parent will either file for adjustment of status in the U.S., or for an immigrant visa from a consulate outside of the U.S.


If you are a parent of a U.S. citizen, a visa is automatically available and you will not have to "stand in line" for a visa. This is because you qualify as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. This means that once the USCIS approves the petition in the first step of the process, you will be able to automatically apply for your green card.





  • A parent of a U.S. citizen that is at least 21 years old.  

  • Birth Certificate.

  • Proof of child's U.S. citizenship. 


Elizee Law Firm is full service immigration law firm. We can guide you and your family through your current immigration case. Our staff is fluent in Spanish and Haitian Creole. Contact us at (305) 371-8846. 



Please reload