Child of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful

Permanent Resident

U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) are able to file a petition on behalf of their children who currently reside either within or outside of the United States. The first step of the proccess is filing a petition for classification of the relative as a qualifying relative with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once the application is approved, the foreign spouse will either file for adjustment of status in the U.S., or for an immigrant visa from a consulate outside of the U.S.


If your mother is the one petitioning immigration on your behalf, she simply needs to submit a copy of your birth certificate showing the name of your mother and your name. If your father is filing the application on your behalf you must also submit your parents' marriage certificate. If your parents were not married, you must show that that your father provided support and legitimized you. 





  • A child born to a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident. 

  • Birth Certificate.

  • Marriage certificate of the parents.

  • Legitimation documents. 


Elizee Law Firm is full service immigration law firm. We can guide you and your family through your current immigration case. Our staff is fluent in Spanish and Haitian Creole. Contact us at (305) 371-8846. 



Please reload